- 1-1/4 cups warm milk
- 3/4 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening or butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 eggs
- 1 egg yolks
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fruit preserves
- 1/4 c milk
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 T butter
- lemon zest
- Pour warm milk over yeast, and let dissolve. Then add sugar, shortening, salt, eggs, egg yolks, and flour. Stir until well combined. Remove dough to a well oiled bowl, and turn once to coat the surface. Cover, and place in a warm spot. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Dish out dough with a tablespoon, and roll into balls. Brush each with shortening, and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Flatten the balls, and make a depression in the centers. Fill with fruit preserves. Allow to rise.
- Bake at 375 degrees F, on parchment paper, for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Mix together milk (warmed), butter, lemon zest and powdered sugarto thick glaze consistency. Drizzle over kolaches once they have cooled a bit.
Don’t judge me, I love the glaze!!