‘Tis the season for yummy hot soup!! This one is very much a comfort food. My youngest was pretty leary about the wild rice, but once she tried it, she had no problem spooning it in. I did find one very cool item at HyVee though, canned cooked wild rice. I know, sounds, sketchy, but it was great I can’t lie!!! So it was the “cooked wild rice” I used in this creation.I hope you can enjoy this one as much as my family and I did.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can low-sodium cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 cup canned, diced carrots (small for quick cook)
- 2 (3 ounce) cans premium chunk chicken breast in water, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground chipotle chile
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion and celery and carrots. Saute, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in soup and broth. Add rice, chicken, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chile and 3/4 cup cheese; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes to blend flavors; stir in cream and chopped cilantro. Garnish with remaining cheese. Enjoy!