- 1 French baguette, cut into 1/2 inch thick circles – I also got a small loaf of pumpernickel for added flavor and color.
- 8 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Combine tomato, basil, and red onion in a small mixing bowl; stir well. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet. Place in oven, and bake until well toasted, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven, and transfer to a large serving platter. Let bread cool 3 to 5 minutes. Rub garlic into the top of each slice of toast; the toast should glisten with the garlic. Spoon the tomato mixture generously onto each slice, and serve.
This is so delicious!!! It is a great side or appetizer for an Italian meal. An easy add is mozzrella and parmesan to the tops.