- 1/2 cup butter (real stuff, slightly softened)
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (King Authur is my favorite!)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened (Real stuff!)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
I put a cookie sheet under the baking dish just in case there was any overflow…..there wasn’t fyi.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan. Sift together 4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated. Sir in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan. In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup flour and 2/3 cup sugar, cut in 6 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I added about a half teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg for fall flavor. Sprinkle over top of batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
This makes A LOT of coffeecake. Do not make it when there is only three people home!! Unless, like me, you send some down the street to friends. It would make a great piece to a holiday brunch!! Enjoy 😉